Saturday, April 7, 2007

Chuck It In Some Soil!

One night, when I was five years old, I was eating some cold lychees after dinner. As I watched everyone push the seeds to the sides of their plates, it hit me: I loved lychees, lychees came from trees, trees came from seeds... why not "make" my own lychees?

On a mission, I saved my seeds and buried a couple in the soil next morning, alongside my mom's ornamental hoo-haws. Sure enough, it first came up unimpressive and twerpy, but it had the beginnings of a lychee tree nonetheless. I practised the patience demanded by ungrafted fruit trees. Eventually, however, I moved out and of course, forgot about it.

The story would have ended sans epiphany if I had not, two years ago, happened to pass by my childhood home and notice a hulking, enormous lychee tree, several times larger than me! I could not believe that this beautiful massive thing was sitting there because of me, or rather, my sudden burst of curiosity and initiative on that fateful night.

Of course, someone else may reap the benefits, but who cares? Everyone should remember that all it takes is a little effort to collect the seeds you usually throw, bury them under soil (or even hurl them into empty lots), and wait patiently for them to bear fruit (or forget about them), and enjoy their shade and oxygen along the way. Fruits for you, me, or the guy who will move into your house in the future, it doesn't matter! We have to save all these aborted baby treetus-fetus things!

Many of the first human "orchards" were found in old latrine sites, where ancient communities would poop out seeds, which would then grow. Chucking seeds into soil, we are agents of propagation. Fruit and food trees do not belong in plantations. They belong to the people, and they should be free, whenever possible.

Fresh food is a right! Viva los salvadores de semillas!!! :D


4 comments:

Carlos Dreamfrutas said...

Hi

Very nice Blog! Congratulations! This is Carlos from Brazil, I am interested to trade sees with you. I reached your blog looking for seeds of Ficus pseudopalmata and ended reading all! LOL I am interested in seeds on other local fruits (did you find what is the nice gree/red fruiting vine???) Best Regards
Carlos
dreamfrutas at gmail dot com

Bea said...

Hi Carlos, thanks :) About the ficus pseudopalmata, I've been told (and I cannot verify, but it seems it because I've failed too many times) that it only grows out of bird droppings, like many ficus species here.

The fruit is a curcurbit, I think it is gymnopetalum chinensis, but I can't find any verification online (I got this from a book). The leaves are edible.

CHeers

Bea said...

Just to correct, I now found it through the internet at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccinia_grandis

Unknown said...

Bea,

Lovely post. The story of your childhood curiosity bearing a fruit tree is so special you must tell it to your children!

I save my seeds now and chuck it in the garden (even if we are just renting now) One day, this land will be a fruit farm, thanks to me hahaha :P

I can't wait to farm in our farm and I will ask you soooo many questions then! My green journey has begun ;)

XOXO