Wednesday, August 20, 2008

And More Eggs! Baby Snails Waiting To Happen



As you might have noticed, I've been focusing on creatures lately. To tell you honestly, it's because I've only recently begun to appreciate all the small animals and insects. I've always been partial to plants, but spending more and more time among them makes me realize that they are all part of something bigger, that involves a myriad of organisms.

I know, it's pretty much a no-brainer, but shrug, shrug, shrug.

Today I spotted some snail eggs! They are really small and look like candy sprinkles. My stepbro shoots pellet guns and I thought they were tiny deformed pellets. Until I took one and squeezed it. It broke. I felt pretty bad about that. But for what it's worth, there seemed to be nothing inside, it was like a hollow little lizard's egg. Here's my hand, for reference:



I'm not sure how long they've been there, but according to Wikipedia, they hatch after 2-4 weeks "of favorable weather". They will live for several years. Doesn't that blow your mind?



After being around so many relatively transient (short-living) insects, the snail seems like a candidate for a crawly you can get really acquainted with. I've considered putting markings on shells so I can track the fellows, but perhaps that will do more damage than it's worth.

1 comment:

Rashi said...

Hi frend your blog is very nice. I wish to promote your blog through my blog. If you are interested in promoting your blog and getting more visitors , then please visit www.blogyourbloghere.blogspot.com and send me either an email or comment confirming your interest so that I may publish your blog here. Thanks :)